| || |
WHO: The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD), Village of Burbank and Village of Oak Lawn
WHAT: Officials will mark the beginning of construction on the Melvina Ditch Reservoir expansion to alleviate ooding concerns for residents of Burbank and Oak Lawn
WHERE: Melvina Ditch Reservoir, 6500 W. 87th Street, Burbank, Ill.
WHEN: Monday, April 2, 2018, 10 a.m.
After a lengthy public process that relied on input from Burbank and Oak Lawn neighbors and various stakeholders to address flooding concerns, the MWRD is prepared to break ground on the anticipated expansion of the Melvina Ditch Reservoir that will provide much needed protection from area flooding. The groundbreaking ceremony will be held at 6500 W. 87th Street, Burbank, IL at 10 a.m.
The project more than doubles the existing Melvina Ditch Reservoir storage capacity of the reservoir to alleviate flooding concerns for residents of Burbank and Oak Lawn.
The expansion project is a culmination of a lengthy public process that accepted input from Burbank and Oak Lawn neighbors and stakeholders. The existing Melvina Ditch Reservoir will be expanded by 195 acre-feet, or by 64 million gallons, the pumping station will be modified to accommodate the reservoir expansion, and a new emergency overflow weir to reduce the likelihood of reservoir overtopping will be installed.
Through public meetings, consensus was met to expand the reservoir within the existing reservoir footprint on MWRD property and through acquir- ing nearby properties around the perimeter of the reservoir. A portion of the $20 million project will be funded through a grant from the state of Illinois through its Build Illinois Bond Fund.
Source: MWRD Press Release
- MWRD Moves Forward With Plan To Acquire Burbank Homes
- MWRD Reveals Plans For Potential Reservoir Improvements
- Melvina Ditch Reservoir Work Update
- No Money For Flood Victims, County Says "Not Enough Damage"
- State Funds Flow To Fight Flooding In Burbank
- Burbank Residents on Flood Problems: "Something Has to Be Done" - NBC Chicago
- Mayor Klein Adresses Recent Floods and MWRD Performance
- Residents Prepare to be Flooded for Third Time This Summer - NBC Chicago
- WGN Morning News Anchors Bemused By Backyard 'Hulk' Statue Revealed During Flood Coverage
- MWRD Statement Regarding Burbank Flooding
- Burbank Residents Frustrated With On-Going Flooding Problems