| || |
St. Laurence High School issued a statement today regarding the stunning announcement last night by Queen of Peace High School that the school intends to close at the end of the current term.
“St. Laurence High School is deeply saddened to hear the news that Queen of Peace High School will be closing their doors. For over 50 years, Queen of Peace has been an excellent neighbor to St. Laurence,” the statement read.
The statement went on to say that St. Laurence plans to work with Queen of Peace and provide help in any way they can.
The all-boys school seemed to put to rest rumors that have been circulating for years that St. Laurence would combine with their all-girls school neighbor. “St. Laurence remains committed to providing a quality Catholic education to its students and has no current plans to go co-ed,” the statement read.
© The Burbank Beat 2017. All rights reserved
Burbank School District 111 has a school board vacancy to fill after David Kasper, whose term ends in spring 2017, resigned from the board.
The school district posted the following statement on their website Monday:
"On behalf of the students, families, and staff of Burbank School District 111, we would like to thank David Kasper for his service as a Board Member for the past seven years. His dedication and commitment to the students in District 111 has been truly appreciated. We wish Mr. Kasper well in his future endeavors. Due to this resignation, we now have a vacant seat on the Board of Education. Interested candidates shall submit a letter of intent to the Board of Education."
Kasper was the subject of a Daily Southtown story earlier this month after question emerged regarding his residency status.
Henry Zieman, a former Burbank resident who now resides in Lake Ozark, Missouri, recently contacted The Burbank Beat with the following question:
In 1946, I attended school at 79th and State Road for one year. I then attended Luther Burbank School after it first opened (and remember we had to use outdoor bathrooms because the main bathrooms in the school had not yet been finished). I finished up grades 7 and 8 at E. J. Tobin and then attended Reavis.
We put this question to Burbank School District 111’s Public Relations Coordinator Kristi Mueller. Kristi was kind enough to scour the district’s archives in search of materials that could answer Mr. Zieman’s question (many thanks Kristi!) and here's what we learned...
According to School District 111 records, the school at 79th and State Road that Mr. Zieman referred to was originally called “Stickney Township School.”
The original Stickney Township School building was a two-story white frame house that was sold to the school district in 1875 for $300 by Mrs. John D. Lemoyne with the stipulation that it be converted from a home to a school.
That structure burned down in 1920 and a new building was erected the next year on the very same spot. Records seem to indicate that Stickney Township School later became the original Edward J. Tobin School.
[Ed. note: Stickney Township School may have been renamed around 1933 to honor the passing of Cook County School Superintendent Edward J. Tobin (see bio below).]
On April 5, 1940 a dedication was held and the new school at 85th and Narragansett was named Edward J. Tobin in honor of the late superintendent of Cook County Schools. Mrs. Belle Tobin, Edward's widow, attended the ceremony.
Around that time, Stickney Township School received the nickname “Little Tobin.”
“Little Tobin” remained a school until 1956 when the students were transferred to the new Harry Fry School at 78th Street and Mobile Avenue.
The following year “Little Tobin” was converted into the Board of Education Building that housed the district's administrative offices.
Eventually Burbank School District 111 relocated the central school office to a new administration building at 7600 S. Central Avenue.
“Little Tobin” was sold and razed in the 1970s to make way for a bank and office building.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF SCHOOL DISTRICT 111
The following record was taken verbatim from an account of the history of School District 111
EDWARD J. TOBIN
Edward J. Tobin was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin on January 8, 1871, to Patrick and Mary (née Finan) Tobin, both of whom immigrated to the United States from Ireland.
Tobin attended public school in Kenosha until he was 16 years-old when he was given a job teaching at Kenosha High School. He left Wisconsin briefly to attended Valparaiso University for a summer but soon returned to Kenosha to resume his teaching duties.
Around 1893, Tobin moved to Chicago with his parents and secured a job teaching at the Bremen Cook County School in Tinley Park for a period of time.
He went on to attend Chicago Normal School (now Chicago State University), and Bryant and Stratton’s Business College.
Tobin began teaching in Chicago Public Schools. Around 1898, he was appointed principal of Hayes School located at Leavitt and Fulton Streets on the westside of Chicago. In 1904, he was appointed principal of Robert Healy School in Chicago’s Bridgeport neighborhood.
On July 24, 1907, Tobin married Miss Belle Padden, a teacher at Chicago’s Harrison School. They had two children together; Ruth Tobin Heffernan, and Edward J. Tobin, Jr.
In September 1910, he stood for election as the Democratic candidate for the position of Cook County School Superintendent and handily won. Tobin continued to be reelected to the position and remained in office for another 23 years until his death.
As Cook County School Superintendent, Tobin won high praise from educators and school administrators throughout the country. He inaugurated many changes in educational methods which were considered radical but in time became widely accepted.
He worked to eliminated all political influence from the school system. He was an innovator who reorganized the rural school system of Cook County — which was copied throughout the state and nation. Tobin also instituted new rules governing the hiring of teachers in which only college graduates were considered.
During his tenure as county school superintendent, Tobin and his family resided at 11350 S. Longwood Drive in Chicago’s Morgan Park neighborhood and attended St. Cajetan Roman Catholic Church.
In February 1933, he was taken to the hospital suffering from heart disease and nephritis. He returned home and several weeks later succumbed to his illness on March 2 at the age of 61.
Funeral services were held at St. Margaret’s Church on 99th and Throop streets. Rural schools under Tobin’s supervision closed for the day in his honor and many students attended the services. Edward Tobin was interred at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Worth, Illinois.
© The Burbank Beat 2016. All rights reserved