| || |
Division Chief Mike Dudlo of the Burbank Police Department said the fire started when an electrical breaker box exploded.
Authorities say the fire was contained to a small mechanical room off the school's gymnasium.
Battalion Chief Martin Kreil of the Burbank Fire Department said the fire was electrical in nature and there were no flames when fire crews arrived on the scene.
Kreil said two private contract workers were transported to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn for treatment of their injuries.
One of the workers suffered non-life threatening second and third degree burns about the body, according to Dudlo.
The school issued the following statement Tuesday afternoon:
"This morning Queen of Peace experienced a minor electrical fire. The fire was contained to the electrical room of the school. Unfortunately, one person was injured during this incident. Queen of Peace will keep this person in our thoughts and prayers with hopes for a quick recovery. In addition, we would also like to thank all first responders who were involved for your speed, professionalism and compassion. At this time, the school is closed for the day."
Queen of Peace President Anne O'Malley declined to comment on the incident but said the school would be releasing more information within the coming days.
It is unclear if students were in the building when the fire broke out.
"The Building was evacuated prior to our arrival," Kreil said.
According to a statement on the school's Facbook page, the school is closed to the public and "All academic summer school classes will be held at St. Laurence while this issue is being addressed."
Students are being advised to check social media for an update on the location of classes scheduled for Wednesday.
This story has been updated with new information.