Road work began earlier this month on State Road between IL 50 (Cicero Avenue) in Bedford Park and 79th Street in Burbank. IDOT estimates this $.691 million project will be finished by October. State Road lane closures near Cicero Avenue have severely disrupted rush-hour traffic at various times.
Another IDOT project that has implications for Burbank drivers will begin later this year. The intersection of 79th Street and State Road will undergo traffic signal modernization at a cost of $.376 million. The project is set to begin in November and last through June of 2014.
Other area IDOT construction projects that are underway or expected to begin soon include:
- Installation of 5 foot wide PCC sidewalks, detectable warnings, driveway adjustments, curb and gutter removal and replacement, restoration and all other incidental items to complete the work on various streets west of Harlem Avenue and north of 79th Street in the Village of Bridgeview.
- Intersection reconstruction and traffic signal installation along 95th Street at 104th Avenue/Flavin Road in Palos Township.
- Construction of a 5 foot wide PCC sidewalk, seeding, sodding, traffic signal modification and other incidental items to complete the work on Southwest Highway south of 117th Street to the Cal-Sag Channel in the City of Palos Heights.
- Milling, resurfacing and drainage work on 127th Street for 1.09 miles from Ridgeland Ave. to Il 83 in Palos Heights, Crestwood, and Alsip.
- Construction of a grade separation underpass at the existing CSX Railroad tracks, construction of retaining walls, 71st Street will be reconstructed and depressed under the new bridge with a portion of Ferdinand Avenue requiring reconstruction, utility relocation, storm sewers, detention pond expansion, curb and gutter, sidewalks, lighting and landscaping, from east of 78th Avenue to Beloit Avenue, in the Village of Bridgeview.
- Earth excavation, storm sewers and drainage structures, aggregate subgrade improvement, HMA binder and surface course, located on 76th Avenue from 131st Street to 127th Street in the City of Palos Heights.
- Installation of a street lighting system located on Central Avenue from 122nd Street to 115th Street in the Village of Alsip.
- HMA surface removal, HMA resurfacing with leveling binder and surface courses, patching, curb and gutter repair and pavement markings, from 115th Street to 122nd Street in the Village of Alsip.
- 3.64 miles of resurfacing on IL 7 from the Cal-Sag Channel to 143rd St. in Palos Park, Palos Heights, and Orland Park.
- Street lighting improvements, including aluminum street lights and mast arms and luminaires, located on Pulaski Road from 123rd Street to 115th Street in the Village of Alsip.
- 1.79 miles of additional lanes, drainage work retaining walls, bike path, drainage systems, guardrails, retaining walls of various types, traffic signals, street lighting, erosion and sediment control, pavement marking, signing, landscaping, and traffic control on US 45 (La Grange Rd.) from 131st St. to 143rd St. in Orland Park and Palos Park.
- 2.79 miles of advance work for future improvements; consisting of median removal, temporary pavement, tree removal and other work on US 45 (LaGrange Rd.) from 159th St. in Tinley Park, Orland Hill and Orland Park.
- 3.74 miles of advance work for future improvements on US 45 that consists of median removal, temporary pavement, box culvert and tree removal on US 45 (LaGrange Rd.) from 131st St. to 159th St. in Orland Park and Palos Park.